?The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding. Proverbs 9:10
So why would we study WISDOM anyway? Wisdom is woven into the Bible in every Book, it is something we often gloss right over through the misconception we believe we already have figured out devoid of what wisdom actually is. After close examination and barely scratching the surface I am awakening to the understanding WISDOM is sadly one of the most overlooked Truths within the Biblical Texts.
It was a stirring within my Spirit, which set me on a journey in search of Wisdom and not viewed by man’s interpretation either, but in total revelation by our Lord. I caution anyone who also feels a strong desire to further their understanding on Wisdom, be very careful who you listen to. There are many new agers and ancient agers out there with a full on assault to confuse and deceive the elect children of God and the unsaved as well.
With that being said… I will refer occasionally to the fact I am gleaning all my teaching through the Hebrew and Greek lexicon found on Blue Letter Bible and the KJV of the Bible, itself. If I reference another source I will let you know in advance.
The answer to why we would study wisdom is easy… Because we are told to do so by our Father.
Let’s look at some scriptures first, after that we will define wisdom in the Greek and Hebrew lexicon, as well as man’s dictionary.
We have all been told in Mathew 25 to be as the five wise virgins, have we not? Let’s take a look into that familiar verse:
1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Lamps: A shining torch fueled with (oil) imparted by the Spirit of Life through the seed)
Virgin: Someone who has abstained from all uncleanness and whoredom through idolatry, and so has kept their chastity for marriage – No idols on the throne of their heart!
Who carries the seed? The Spirit of Life
Who receives the seed? The Wise Virgins
The Seed is the Holy Spirit and Wisdom is imparted into the lamp by Him
The Seed carries the characteristics of the Holy Spirit & Jesus – who are One in the Father
2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Note: There are wise and unwise in the Kingdom of Heaven, in the following verses we will see exactly what sets them apart from one another.
3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Oil – Hebrews 1:9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows
5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
- Notice they could not enter without the oil… If it was just simply a door, why did they not enter?
- Please note: They had the outside appearance and the tools to be a virgin, however inwardly they were void.
We see here… without the oil (Seed) inside of us, we simply will not be ready when Jesus comes because our torches will not burn for Him.
25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men’s bones, and of all uncleanness.
28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.
Back to wisdom…..
1Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
2 She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table.
3 She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city,
4 Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
5 Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.
6 Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
7 He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.
8 Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
11 For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased.
- How are our days multiplied? Through wisdom.
?Wisdom is available for EVERYONE!
1 Hear this, all ye people; give ear, all ye inhabitants of the world:
2 Both low and high, rich and poor, together.
3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.
- Understanding wisdom can only come through the communication of the heart
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.
8 It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
9 Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
10 So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
11 My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord; neither be weary of his correction:
12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.
13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.
14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.
15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.
16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.
17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.
- If you understand her you will be happy
19 The Lord by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.
- Through her the Earth was found and through her understanding he established the Heavens
20 By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.
21 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:
22 So shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace to thy neck.
23 Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble.
24 When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.
25 Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh.
26 For the Lord shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.
27 Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.
28 Say not unto thy neighbour, Go, and come again, and to morrow I will give; when thou hast it by thee.
29 Devise not evil against thy neighbour, seeing he dwelleth securely by thee.
30 Strive not with a man without cause, if he have done thee no harm.
31 Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways.
32 For the froward is abomination to the Lord: but his secret is with the righteous.
- Froward, think and plan against another person
- Secret – Secret council of the anointed and appointed of God, those who are righteous and wise
33 The curse of the Lord is in the house of the wicked: but he blesseth the habitation of the just.
34 Surely he scorneth the scorners: but he giveth grace unto the lowly.
35 The wise shall inherit glory: but shame shall be the promotion of fools.
Can we all agree that wisdom cannot be attained by the flesh or the mind or the soul? Wisdom, she is a life force, a Spirit, if you will.
For example: Wisdom gives pure love to the heart like air gives breathe to the lungs.
Let’s look at the Greek and Hebrew roots concerning the word Wisdom.
Wisdom – Sophia is the root name, which is why she is always referred to as female, similar to the way we would not confuse Jesus as a male, Wisdom/Sophia is female… Both created in the image of The One – Our Father who is all things since before time began. Female in this sense resembles the vessel which contains the seed.
A moral rather than an intellectual quality. To be “foolish” is to be godless (Psa 14:1; Jdg 19:23; 2Sa 13:13). True wisdom is a gift from God to those who ask it (Job 28:12-28; Pro 3:13-18; Rom 1:22; 16:27; 1Cr 1:17-21; 2:6-8; Jam 1:5). “Wisdom” in Pro 1:20; 8:1; 9:1-5 may be regarded not as a mere personification of the attribute of wisdom, but as a divine person, “Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God” (1Cr 1:24). In Mat 11:19 it is the personified principle of wisdom that is meant.
For “wisdom,”Sophia” is in almost every case the original word, the sole exception is in the New Testament being Lu 1:17 (phronesis).
Wisdom is the only-begotten of God (The Wisdom of Solomon 7:22), the effulgence of eternal light (The Wisdom of Solomon 7:26; compare Heb 1:3), living with God (The Wisdom of Solomon 8:3) and sharing His throne (The Wisdom of Solomon 9:4). She is the origin (or “mother”) of all creatures (The Wisdom of Solomon 7:12; compare 8:6), and is active in penetrating (The Wisdom of Solomon 7:24), ordering (The Wisdom of Solomon 8:1), and renewing (The Wisdom of Solomon 7:27) all things, while carrying inspiration to all holy souls (The Wisdom of Solomon 7:23), especially to Israel (The Wisdom of Solomon 10:17,18). Here there is no doubt that the personification has ceased to be rhetorical and has become real. Wisdom is thought of as a heavenly being, not so distinctively personal, perhaps, as an angel, but none the less far more than a mere rhetorical term; i.e. she is a “hypostasis.”
Wisdom, broad and full of intelligence; used of the knowledge of very diverse matters the wisdom which belongs to men spec. the varied knowledge of things human and divine, acquired by acuteness and experience, and summed up in maxims and proverbs the science and learning the act of interpreting dreams and always giving the sagest advice the intelligence evinced in discovering the meaning of some mysterious number or vision skill in the management of affairs devout and proper prudence in intercourse with men not disciples of Christ, skill and discretion in imparting Christian truth the knowledge and practice of the requisites for godly and upright living supreme intelligence, such as belongs to God to Christ the wisdom of God as evinced in forming and executing counsels in the formation and government of the world and the scriptures
Further reading ~
Proverbs 6:16-23 What the Lord hates
Proverbs 8:22-31 Wisdom present before the Earth began
Proverbs 8:12 Prudence is with Her
Once we become more familiar with the ways of wisdom, we too will display the characteristics of “Being wise.” Every answer we could ever seek is found in God’s Word. To know wisdom is to know God. If we read Proverbs, Chapters 1-9 we will discover in detail what wisdom will produce as fruit in our own lives. I encourage you to read these Chapters for yourself and let the Holy Spirit lead and teach you according to how it was written.
As a matter of fact, I did just that myself and below is a list of qualities of what the Lord’s wisdom does as activated within a Child of God:
Proverbs 1-9 ~~~ Knowing Wisdom
- Gives PERCEPTION
- Gives INSTRUCTION
- Gives JUSTICE
- Gives JUDGMENT
- Gives EQUITY
- Is SUBTLE
- Increases KNOWLEDGE
- Imparts DISCRETION
- Increases DESIRE TO LEARN and SEEK WISE COUNSEL
- INTERPRETS DARK SAYINGS
- IMPARTS FEAR OF THE LORD
- CRIES OUT TO THE SIMPLE ONES WHO LOVE SIMPLICITY LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO DWELL WITHIN
- Gives REPROOF
- POURS HER SPIRIT INTO THOSE WHO WILL RECEIVE
- Gives REVELATION
- She CALLS OUT
- She STRETCHES FORTH HER HAND
- Gives COUNSEL
- She LAUGHS AT THE CALAMITY OF FOOLS
- She MOCKS WHEN FEAR COMES UPON FOOLS
- She WILL NOT ANSWER THE CALLS OF THOSE WHO REJECTED HER KNOWLEDGE AND DID NOT FEAR THE LORD
- Those who dwell with her shall be SAFE and QUIET
- She WRITES THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD UPON OUR HEARTS
- Gives UNDERSTANDING
- She is a TREASURE HIDDEN
- Only the LORD GIVES HER AWAY OUT OF HIS MOUTH TO THE RIGHTEOUS
- She ENTERS INTO OUR HEART
- Makes our SOUL PLEASANT
- She PRESERVES us
- DELIVERS US FROM EVIL PEOPLE AND STRANGERS
- HELPS US TO REMEMBER OUR COVENANT WITH GOD
- Assists us to WALK WITH GOOD MEN
- KEEPS OUR PATH RIGHTEOUS
- MAKES US UPRIGHT and PERFECTED
- GRANTS LONG LIFE and EXTENDS OUR DAYS
- Imparts MERCY
- Conduit for FAVOR
- Assists in TRUSTING THE LORD and ACKNOWLEDGING HIM
- GIVES HEALTH TO OUR PHYSICAL BODY
- Helps us HONOR GOD
- INCREASES OUR FRUIT and WEALTH
- Makes us LOVE CORRECTION
- Makes us HAPPY
- MORE VALUABLE THAN ANY MATERIAL TREASURE ON EARTH
- KEEPS TRACK OF THE DAYS – CONTAINING THE NUMBER IN HER HANDS
- IN HER RIGHT HAND IS RICHES AND HONOR
- FULL OF PLEASANTNESS and PEACE
- She is a TREE OF LIFE
- We can RETAIN HER
- By her the EARTH WAS FOUNDED
- By her the HEAVENS WERE ESTABLISHED
- By her the DEPTHS ARE BROKEN
- By her the CLOUDS DROP DOWN THE DEW
- The Children of God KEEP HER
- Imparts GRACE
- Prevents us from STUMBLING
- CASTS AWAY FEAR
- KEEPS OUR SLEEP SWEET
- WILL NOT ALLOW US TO BE TAKEN WHEN THE DESOLATION OF THE WICKED COMES
- Shows us how to be CONFIDENT
- She opposes those who: WITHHOLD THAT WHICH IS GOOD, DEVISE EVIL AGAINST ANOTHER, STRIVE WITH ONE FOR NO REASON, ENVY OR OPPRESS ANOTHER, ARE FOOLISH
- She will SCORN THOSE WHO SCORN
- Imparts GLORY ON THE HUMBLE
- She is to be made KNOWN
- SHE FORCES HERSELF ON NO ONE
- SPEAKS DIRECTLY TO THE CHILDREN OF THE CREATOR
- GIVES GOOD DOCTRINE
- HELPS US RETAIN THE WORDS OF OUR LORD IN OUR HEARTS
- GRANTS LIFE
- MAKES US REMEMBER
- WILL NOT BE FORSAKEN
- PRESERVE US
- If you love her, you will be KEPT
- She is a PRINCIPAL OF FAITH
- If you exalt her, you will BE PROMOTED
- DELIVERS A CROWN OF GLORY
- KEEPS US FROM STUMBLING
- SHE IS OUR LIFE FORCE
- KEEPS US FROM THOSE WHO ARE WICKED and cause others to fall
- SHINING LIGHT
- MAKES OUR HEART DILIGENT
- SHUTS THE LIPS OF THE WICKED
- KEEPS US FROM BEING ENTANGLED WITH DARKNESS
- OPENS OUR EARS TO HEAR INSTRUCTION FROM TEACHERS
- DIRECTS OBEDIENCE
- RAVISHES WITH LOVE
- ONLY RESTS WITHIN THE HUMBLE
- NO MISCHIEF ESCAPES HER UNDERSTANDING
- HATES: The proud, lying, hands that shed innocent blood, heart that has wicked imaginations, mischief, false witness who does not walk what he speaks, those who sow discord among the brethren
- INSURES WE KEEP THE FATHER’S COMMANDMENTS AND THE MOTHER’S LAW
- AGAINST LUST
- OPERATES IN TOTAL PURITY AND CLARITY AND LOVE
- DESPISES THOSE WHO SEEK TO SATISFY THEIR SOULS
- DECLARES THOSE WHO COMMIT ADULTERY IN MIND, WORD OR DEED SHALL HAVE THEIR SOUL DESTROYED – THROUGH HIS OWN SELF INFLICTED WOUNDS
- SHE IS YOUR SISTER
- GIVES SPIRITUAL EYESIGHT
- She CRIES
- STANDS IN HIGH PLACES
- SPEAKS OF EXCELLENT AND RIGHT THINGS
- DWELLS WITH PRUDENCE
- Grants KNOWLEDGE OF WITTY INVENTIONS
- LOVES THOSE WHO LOVE HER
- IS ONLY FOUND WHEN SOUGHT AFTER
- Those who love her will INHERIT SUBSTANCE
- WAS POSSESSED BY THE LORD BEFORE HE BEGAN HIS WORKS
- WAS SET UP FROM EVERLASTING BEFORE THE EARTH WAS FORMED
- WAS BROUGHT FORTH WHEN THERE WAS NOTHING FORMED
- WAS PRESENT WHEN THE HEAVENS WERE FORMED
- SHE WAS BY THE CREATOR AS ONE AND WAS BROUGHT UP WITH HIM
- WAS HIS DAILY DELIGHT, REJOICING ALWAYS WITH HIM
- HER DELIGHTS ARE WITH THE SONS OF MEN
- BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO KEEP HER WAYS
- THOSE WHO SIN AGAINST HER, SIN AGAINST THEIR OWN SOUL
- WISDOM BUILDS A SPIRITUAL HOUSE
- SHE REFLECTS THE SEVEN SPIRIT OF CREATOR GOD
- SHE FEEDS SPIRITUAL FOOD AT A TABLE
- SHE HAS HAND MAIDENS
- The simple FEAST UPON HER
- She REBUKES A WISE MAN AND HE LOVES HER FOR IT
- Her INSTRUCTION MAKES A WISE MAN, WISER
- She TEACHES A JUST MAN AND HE WILL INCREASE IN LEARNING
- When one fears the Lord, ONE WILL BEGIN TO KNOW HER
When we become one with Wisdom…. We become one with THE ONE… Our Creator Father. Amen.
May The Lord Bless You Abundantly With His Wisdom,
In His Love,
Angela ~ Marked By Heaven?