CHURCH OF THYATIRA
And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;
- Angel delivering message by command of Jesus
I know thy works [an act or deed], and charity [unconditional love], and service [acts, employment], and faith [belief in God’s divinity], and thy patience [endurance], and thy works; and the last to be more than the first [growing].
- The members of this Church were doing what we would assume to be all the “Right” things. They performed acts of unconditional love, they served one another, had great faith and patience
- The were also doing more than they did before and were growing in their service to the Lord
Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest [permit, not restrain] that woman Jezebel [calls themselves a Christian, encourages idol worship, pretends to be a prophet, exalts themselves, male/female – is not gender specific], which calleth herself a prophetess [an interpreter of oracles or other hidden things – female simply means “multiplies and fosters growth and increase”], to teach and to seduce [cause to be lead astray from the truth] my servants [one who gives up their lives to extend and advance Christ’s kingdom] to commit fornication [be drawn away] and to eat [consume, devour] things sacrificed unto idols [vain imaginations, a representative of an object, worship of any person or item other than God].
- This church permits and encourages idol worship through a false prophet who exalts themselves by vain imaginations frequently revealing hidden things.
- She also is leading astray from the truth those who have given up their lives in advance for the Kingdom.
- In doing so, she consumes and devours these servants because they place her above God in their lives. To worship, admire or believe anyone is perfect is forbidden.
- The church of Thyatira tolerates her and does nothing to restrain her.
- This is a female demonic entity only because when it operates through someone those who are beguiled increase by the speech under the influence and seduced by this destructive force
And I gave her space to repent of her fornication [to prevent oneself to be drawn away by idolatry]; and she repented [to be sickened by sin and turn away doing them no more] not.
- God gave them a chance to turn from their worship of her ways, but they rebelled, refusing to let go of their lusts.
- The speech of one in this respect is alluring and enticing so much that the people willingly submit, having pleasure in unrighteousness
Behold, I will cast her into a bed [cause her to fall away], and them that commit adultery with her [fallen away, turned away from God, entwined with the one who they worship] into great tribulation [oppression, affliction, distress, pressing in], except they repent of their deeds [anything accomplished by your hand – they willingly followed this person].
- Because they refused to repent, the Father caused them to fall away into great oppression, distress and affliction.
- A last chance was given.
And I will kill her children [those who worshiped this false idol] with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
- All those who fell into her trap – the Father will destroy.
- Reaping and sowing proclaimed.
But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known [have knowledge of, understand, perceive, embrace] the depths [deep sleep] of satan [super-human evil man, prince of evil spirits and man who follows his ways, incites falling away from the truth, can take control through demons of humans and inflict illnesses into the soul, requires God’s assistance to overcome], as they speak [teach, affirm, speak]; I will put upon you none other burden.
- Those who do not have her knowledge to seduce and devour and are awake and not asleep concerning the teachings and words of satan – the Father will put no other burden upon you.
- Those who teach out of this spirit often lay heavy burdens upon you
But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
- Be content with what the Father has provided for you, do not fall into the temptations of the evil desires provoked by the enemy.
And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations [a multitude living together, tribe, nation, people gathered].
- Those who continue on the right path through Jesus are rewarded by being gathered together as a tribe, remaining and living together.
And he shall rule [tend to a flock by feeding, nourishing, cherish, supply the soul of another] them with a rod of iron [royal scepter, represents the severest, most rigorous rule]; as the vessels [household utensils] of a potter [made of the earth by the potter] shall they be broken to shivers [to tread satan under foot]; even as I received [to carry, to take one’s own, gather] of my Father [God of the stars, the heavenly luminaries, because he is their creator, upholder, ruler].
- You will tend to the Father’s cherished flock by supply to their soul with the nourishment of His written word.
- You will have a royal scepter to rule with rigorously and Spiritually
- You were made by the potter out of the Earth
- You shall tread satan underfoot, be carried and gathered together with the Father because you belong to Him.
And I will give him [one from the air] the morning [fourth watch of the night, from 3 o’clock in the morning until 6 o’clock approximately, when day is breaking] star [to stand immovable, to spread, star],
- You will have over you an immovable star to stand firm, spreading over you during the fourth watch, when the day is breaking.
He that hath an ear [perceiving with the mind, the faculty of understanding and knowing], let him hear [understand, perceive the sense of what is said] what the Spirit [the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son, God’s personality] saith unto the churches [gathered out of, any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance, tumultuously with force].
- If you know and understand what the Holy Spirit is saying you will be gathered out of tumultuous times with Godly force.
*Please note: All words in brackets came from the study of Greek meanings & context through Blue Letter Bible.